Develop a Plan
“Winging it” is the surest route back to where you started–working full-time for someone else. Before you make the move, you should be able to answer each of the following questions:
- What services am I going to offer?
- Do I have the necessary skills and/or certification to offer these services? If not, how will I get them?
- Who needs my services? Where are they located? How can I contact them?
- Do I have at least one client “in the bag?” If not, how can I secure one?
- Do I have a proven track record of success? A portfolio of my work? Satisfied clients to use as references?
- How much am I going to charge?
- Where am I going to set up shop?
- Do I have money in the bank to cover at least 3 months of living expenses?
- What’s my fallback position if I can’t make ends meet? Do I have another option (i.e., substitute teaching, temping) other than going back to work full-time?
- How am I going to pay for health insurance, life insurance, etc.?
- Do I have a plan for setting aside my self-employment and other taxes?
- Have I created a marketing and promotions plan?
- Do I have someone to go to for advice if I get stuck?
- How long am I going to give myself to make a go of this?