To help prevent the out-of-sight, out-of-mind syndrome from impeding your job advancement, consider these tips for making yourself more noticeable when you’re on the job:
- Stay active in your office, including staff meetings and social events.
- Keep in touch with your co-workers and manager frequently through e-mail and phone calls, even when you’re not at work.
- Make sure your supervisor is apprised of your accomplishments.
- Do more than just the bare minimum.
- If you’re job-sharing, stay in constant contact with your partner to minimize transition hassles; you may even want to consider working an overlapping schedule.
- Be available for office questions and emergencies, even on your days off.
- Volunteer for special projects.