Informational Interview Dos and Don’ts
- Call your contact the day before to confirm your appointment.
- Write down specific questions you’d like to ask.
- Show up on time and dress professionally.
- Ask your contact how long they have to talk and don’t overstay your welcome unless invited to.
- Make sure to ask if there is anyone else who might be willing to speak with you.
- Thank your contact for his or her time.
- Follow up.
- Act overly casual; even if this is someone you’ve known your whole life.
- Ask personal questions. Instead of asking “How much do you make?” ask “What’s a typical salary range for an entry level position in this field?”
- Ask for a job–they’ll tell you if one is open.