Cover Letter Hints
Here’s how to make your cover letter stand out:
- Use the same paper used for your resume, if handing in a printed copy.
- State the position for which you are applying.
- Mimic the language in the job announcement; if they want “experience managing teams,” make sure you mention your relevant experience, using that exact phrase.
- Use block formatting.
- Address the letter to a particular person rather than “To Whom It May Concern,” and call if you don’t have a contact name.
- Avoid using familiar names (i.e. Mr. Hill, not James).
- Minimize special formatting (bold, italics, or bulleted lists).
- Type the letter neatly; don’t use correction fluid.
- Include all of your contact information (address, phone number, and e-mail).
- Sign and print your name in the signature line.