Negotiating Alternative Solutions
You may be convinced that a flexible schedule or telecommuting is the perfect arrangement, but how do you convince your employer? The keywords are research and planning.
First, determine if the alternative you’re considering is really right for you. Ask yourself:
- Am I disciplined enough to make the position work?
- Can I afford the reduction in income and/or benefits?
- Do I thrive in an office environment or do I feel stifled by it?
- Do I have the self-motivation to work if I don’t have a supervisor managing me?
- Am I aware of and ready for the social implications of being away from the office?
Once you’ve determined you’re ready, it’s time to convince your manager that the arrangement will benefit the company as well. Developing a winning proposal will be a crucial cornerstone to your argument.